No. Enc: 1 (2d4)
Movement: 120' (40')
Armor Class: 6
Hit Dice: 7
Attack: 2 (2 Claws)
Hoard Class: VII
Steam Beast are an amalgam of two minor elementals fused together in a reinforced glass apparatus originating from the Inner Planes. At the heart of this beast are a minor water and fire elemental who has merged into one being with conflicting stability. Steam Beast are rumored to have been created by the Efreet in the City of Brass to be used as guardians but quickly fell out of favor since they have a tendency to attack their owners when combat ensues. The are typically found guarding important places or roaming the Inner Planes in packs.
- Steam Beast attack with 2 claws that do 1d6 damage. If both claw attacks hit they rend for additional 1d6 damage.
- Once every 1d4 rounds the Steam Beast can let loose a concentrated blast of boiling steam in a direct line. The blast damage is equal to the Steam Beast current hit points. A save vs. breath weapon will reduced damage by half. The blast has a range of 60'
- When slain the Steam Beast will burst into hundreds of shards of heated glass doing 2d6 points of damage in a 30' radius.
- Each round there is a chance that a Steam Beast will lose control of itself and randomly attack anyone within range. At the end of each round total up all damage dealt to the Steam Beast. Roll a percentile dice based on total damage. If rolled under the damage total the Steam Beast enters into a rage and randomly attacks anyone within range including other Steam Beast or allies.
- Steam Beast are immune to fire damage.
1. The group needs to acquire a ring of fire resistance. They have a trip to a fiery place up coming. Rumor has it that the creator of the Steam Beast left a ring inside the creature glass chassis.
2. A Clan of Fire Giants unleashed a pack of Steam Beat on local town to cause havoc and panic before their main assault.
3. In the Fire Marshes of Abu-tar lies a barrow mound that houses the tomb of a great Efreeti lord. Rumors of great treasures have surfaced. The tomb is currently guarded by 4 Steam Beast who are sworn to protect their master final resting place.
For more monsters check out my new monster index. It has new monsters and variants created with OSR D&D in mind. I am hoping that I am able to create a hundred or so new monsters/variants over the course of the next couple of years. Then I plan to go back and edit them. The eventually goal is to compile them into a pdf and hardcover book. If you enjoy my work please consider joining my blog!
New Monster Index
artwork by Joanna Ballendorf
owned by Steven Marella